Sketches of Those Who have Died Since the War.

     And as the years have come and gone since the disbanding, Company K's survivors have ever done their part in the reunions and camp fires held by the Regiment. But so widely scattered have they become that only a few each year have been able to answer to their names on such occasions. In nearly a dozen states the present living are to be found.

     We cast a look back to the time K was disbanded, and, when asked where are Co. K's 101 members? we find the numbering to be: 12 killed in action; 14 died in the service; 2 deserted and their names are lost to us; 31 have died since, and 42 are living yet. The killed and died in service have already been mentioned. And the names of the two deserters have passed from us.

     So many years have passed with their burden of business, domestic and other duties and of engrossing anxieties; so much have memory's faculties yielded to the demands made upon them as that it has become difficult to recall details in experience in those crowded years of service, that the task of gathering data for presenting to the public a just and impartial record of each one of K's members has been found a very difficult one; and, despite the writer's most earnest and persistent efforts through many months of time in search of necessary information, he regrets his inability to secure such data as he in some cases longed for. But so far as was within his power he has given the records impartially, full and correct to the best of his information. Nothing would he not have done to serve his comrades, each one of whom was dear to him, and to each of whom he ever felt allied as to a brother. Gladly does he make mention of anything to the credit or honor of any one in a Company that sustained so worthy a record as did K, than which, he hesitates not to assert, nor other was superior in point of excellence, in faithful, devoted, heroic service to our beloved country.

     With a feeling of sadness and in sorrow we record the list of those 31 who died since the Company was disbanded in June, 1865.

     1. William M. Geary, from Candor, Pa., was almost constantly, with the Company, responding cheerfully to every call to duty, exemplary in his conduct. He was one of five, who though in all the battles, yet escaped injury. But the severities of the service shattered his constitution, and he was the first to fall after the return. He suffered terribly from ulceration of the bowels; but loving friends, among them Jno. A. McCalmont, and other of his comrades tenderly cared for him. He died June 25, 1866, and was buried in the home cemetery at Candor.

     2. Colin R. Nickeson, of Claysville, proved himself a worthy soldier. He was severely wounded in the breast on July 2, '63, at Gettysburg. He also suffered some from illness. When the Company disbanded at Pittsburg he returned to his home in East Finley Township. But he virtually had given his life to his country, for he died from the effects of wound and the severities of service, April 8, 1867, among his home friends.

     3. Second Lieutenant William B. Cook, Candor, practically sacrificed his life on our country's altar. He was taken prisoner July 2, '63, and confined in Libby prison, never getting back to the Company. He was among those who through a tunnel tried to escape, but was recaptured. When discharged in May, '65, he returned home. But his strength was undermined. He entered on the practice of law in Pittsburg, Pa. But from lung trouble he died Dec. 30, 1870.

     4. Harrison McConnell, Paris, eager to be with those who went out to defend the Union, slipped into the service, being duly enrolled as a member of K, and got as far as Falmouth, Va. But, he being a minor, his parents appealed to the U. S. Courts; and through the direction of the Secretary of War, his friends took him from the camp to Washington City, where a discharge was secured for him. Afterwards through the recommendation of Senator Cameron, he did service in Washington City up to time of illness resulting in his death, save one year in which he was a clerk in the West Virginia House of Representatives. He died at home, near Paris, Pa., July 17, 1872, and was buried at Florence, Pa.

     5. James S. Berryhill, "Sans" as he was familiarly known, Cross Creek, was ever a ready soldier and companionable fellow on march, in battle or in camp. He faced the music all the way, and came through without injury. But one Sabbath morning, July 19, 1874, in endeavoring to board a freight train at Dinsmore Crossing, Panhandle railroad, on his way to Sabbath school, he was accidentally killed, and his mangled body was given a true soldier's burial in the old graveyard at Burgettstown, Pa.

     6. George Ralston, of Claysville, made a corporal in the organization of the Company, entered the ranks of soldiery with a truly loyal heart, leaving his profession of teaching. With the exception of several weeks in the hospital in '63, he "weathered the storm" with the Company till the end. Was promoted to First Sergeant on B. F. Powelson's leaving K to accept a position in another Regiment. But the "wear and tear" of the service must have made inroads on his vitality, for after a brief life at home with wife and children, he died from consumption, Aug. 28, 1874, and was buried in Claysville cemetery.

     7. Capt. Wm. A. F. Stockton, Cross Creek, was of a generous and open-hearted disposition, and served with faithfulness. On the 29th Of July, '63, he was detailed and sent back for duty at the General Recruiting Station at Pittsburg, where he remained until the summer of 64, returning to command of K, and was with it till the Company was disbanded, except that on several occasions, by virtue of his rank, he had command of the Regiment. After the war he embarked in raising fruit for the New York market, in Carituck, N. C., where through fever he died, July 21, 1877, and was buried in the old Cross Creek village graveyard. He was brevetted Major, April 9, 1865.

     8. William Porter, West Alexander, quiet and unassuming, but ever ready for duty, was another of the lucky ones, about all the time with the Company, yet never wounded. He was promoted to be Corporal in the room of Jno. F. Gardner, transferred to an artillery Company Dec.'17, '63. In the quiet, faithful pursuit of his business, while alighting from a horse, he was accidentally cut in the neck by a chisel and quickly died from the wound Dec. 16, 1883, near West Alexander, Pa., in whose cemetery he lies buried.

     9. Milton R. Boyd, 2nd Sergeant, Claysville, possessed many of the qualities of a good soldier, and bore well his part through the campaign of '63 and early part of '64. But the severities of the service were too much for him, his health was undermined, and in latter part of term of service he was unable for field duty. After the war was ended he went into the medical profession, entering on practice in Silvan Springs, Arkansas. He died in that place from congestion of the brain May 2, 1884, and was buried there.

     10. Johnson Toppin, Millsboro, was wounded in the shoulder, Gettysburg, second day of July, '63, and thereby rendered unfit for active service, though ever ready to respond to calls of duty. Towards the close he was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps. Little is known to us of him after discharge. The only information obtained was that, about the year 1884, he was accidentally drowned near Pittsburg, being thrown from a river barge.

     11. Robert Meldoon, West Alexander, faithfully answered to all duty up to Gettysburg. There, July 2, '63, he was wounded in face and leg, and was in hospital or on light service there afterwards. Little seems known or could be found out of him after his discharge. He was killed on the railroad at New Castle, Pa., in June, 1885, and was buried there.

     12. William A. Ruffner, Mound City, did not seem to be physically able for field service. When marching in December, 1862, to the front, he gave out, and after some time spent in hospital, he was, by direction of the surgeon in charge, discharged. And all the information we were able to glean (and that comes from a comrade nearest to him) was that he was killed sometime in 1886, in the coal mines at Coal Bluff, Washington county, Pa.

     13. Robert B. Dungan, Cross Creek, was not able to continue in the strenuous service to which the Company was subjected. He was not with the Company during latter half of our term of service, but did some detail duty at office and hospital. And after muster out of service he suffered from disease which had become chronic before his discharge from the army, and from its effects he died in Leavenworth, Kansas, Feb. 27, 1888.

     14. Thomas L. Noble, Claysville, enlisted as a member of K, but in the second month of service was promoted to Commissary Sergeant of the Regiment, and he as such rendered excellent service, watchful for our comforts and awake to our interests. "Tom," as he was known throughout the command, was a genius, ready in wit and full of fun, and never failing, after (as he himself said) he "got his hand in," to see that the 140th and specially K, received out, full share of rations. This efficient service in the Q. M. Department, seasoned with good humor and a generous spirit, was followed by a successful career in days of peace and prosperity. He engaged in real estate and insurance business in the west. He was noted as a strong and influential advocate of temperance. His orations in this and in Memorial Day services were characterized with ability and power. I quote here with pleasure a testimony concerning Tom, given at a reunion camp fire by Comrade "Sandy" Acheson (Capt. Alex. W. Acheson, Co. C): "After the war was over he emigrated to Kansas, where he encountered the various shades of fortune, sometimes doing well, and at others not, until at last, broken in health, he floated to Texas. One day I was summoned hastily to see him, when I found him already dead of heart disease. With all of the honors a G. A. R. Post could bestow, we laid him to rest, beneath the Bur-oaks of Texas, to await the reveille which will summon us all together at the last day. It was in Dennison, Texas, he died, in the month of September, 1890, and there in the northeast corner of Oakwood Cemetery buried.

     15. James K. McCurdy, Eldersville, when he enlisted in K was a practicing physician. He was soon detailed as hospital steward and was on Feb. 17, 1864, discharged by special order from War Department, and transferred to the 153rd Regiment, P. V., being commissioned Feb. 26, '64, as Assistant Surgeon, and served as such with credit. He died at Burgettstown, Pa., Aug 12, 1891.

     16. Jesse M. Carter, Millsboro, was a worthy soldier, ever faithful to his country's service, and never murmuring against the hardships and privations incident thereto. He was wounded on May 12, '64, but after recovery from wound he resumed his place in old K to "battle manfully" till the glorious victory was won and Lee's army was no more. According to best information received he died some time in 1894.

     17. Robert Lyle, Cross Creek, was among the older ones forming the membership of K. He had the true spirit of service, but it soon became manifest that he had not the physical strength and endurance essential to active warfare; so that after the testing in the march to the front and the severities of duties in the winter season at Falmouth, Va., with Lee's army across the river, on certificate of the Surgeon he was discharged from service. He died July 1, 1894, and was buried in the cemetery at Cross Creek Village, Pa.

     18. James A. Fordyce, Claysville, too, was a man somewhat advanced in years. But his heart was in the cause of preserving the Union, and he gave himself unreservedly to soldier life and duty. He was wounded in the summer of '64, in battle of Deep Bottorn, Va., having a thumb shot off. He was detailed part of time as teamster. He remained with the Company till the last, though his health and strength were considerably impaired. He died in Claysville, July 22, '95, age 75 years. His widow, living yet in Claysville, says that he carried disease from the exposure and severity of his war service.

     19. Daniel J. Butterfoss, Paris, was possibly the oldest man enlisting in K. In fact too old for the service. He could not endure the testing in our going to the front, and was sent to the hospital April 21, '63, and after that never was with the Company, though not discharged till about the time K was mustered out. He is said to have carried mail till a good old age, and spent his last days by his choice in the Erie Soldier's Home, Erie, Pa., where he died of seniel paresis, July 29, 1896, and was buried there.

     20. John F. Gardner, Paris, the Corporal readily responded to his country's call for defenders, and made a fair record for himself. Was with K only in the Chancellorsville battle, as after that he was on detached duty, and was on Dec. 17, '63, transferred to service in the Artillery Brigade. He died in Iowa, Oct. 1, 1896. Corporal Geo. Hanlin, however, thinks it was in DeKalb County, Ala., in which he died. (The members of K had in the 40 years since the war closed become so scattered that it seemed impossible in a few cases to get definite information. We did the best we could in weeks of visiting and many months of correspondence).

     21. Isaac W. Chisholm, Candor, was a soldier whose bearing and manner made a favorable impress upon his comrades; one of more than average merit, of good business qualities, liked by all who knew him. He was a little poetic in his literary effusions, as a leaf from his camp fire reflections will show:

     "Rules and Regulations of the Candor Mess. - Donaldson, McCalmont, Geary, Chisholm, Will Powelson. and Graham.

          Corporal Donaldson is the cook,

          And Captain of the mess,

          He brings the water from the brook,

          And then sits down to rest.

          The other five get all the wood

          And pile it in the corner,

          And would do more if they could

          To crown themselves with honor.

          Profane swearing is not allowed,

          Or vulgar language used,

          Nor 'acts' that would disgrace the crowd

          If we should be accused.

          A member who should break these rules

          Without regard to beauty,

          Shall be kicked out like army mules

          And placed on double duty.

     Official:          By command of


     Private and Adjutant.          Corp'l Commanding."

     He practiced medicine after the war in South Side, Pittsburg, where he had been born, until 1877, when with family of wife and children he located in New Concord, Ohio. There he died from heart trouble, Oct. 20, '97, and was buried in Concord cemetery.

     22. Henry Dickson, Dunningsville, was among those always ready for duty. He was wounded in the battle of Spottsylvania C H. Was in hospital till the latter part of '64, when he was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps. Soon after the close of the war he went west, first to Kansas. He died July 18, 1898, in San Diego, California. Buried in the Washington (Pa.) cemetery.

     23. Edward S. Alexander, West Alexander, 3rd Sergeant, possessed many of the sterling qualities of a good soldier, never faltering when duty called to hardships and sacrifices. His business abilities were often recognized by calls or details to special and some detached duty. This took him no little from the Company. But he was always found faithful in the discharge of duty. Was wounded in hand and arm on July 2, '63, Gettysburg. Tried in the furnace of conflict, the war over, he re-entered his work of life with determination of success. The writer regrets his inability to get definite information of him, though he visited West Alexander in search. One thing seemed certain from the cemetery records - he was buried there April 26, 1899.

     24. Joseph C. Frazier, West Alexander, was with the Company till after the battle of Chancellorsville, May 1-5, '63. After that he took sick, was sent to hospital, and was discharged Sept. 30, '63, on Surgeon's certificate of disability. And the writer failed to get any reliable information concerning him after his discharge. From the Pension Bureau it was ascertained that he died Nov. 20, 1900.

     25. William R. H. Powelson, Cross Creek, 4th Corporal, was one of K's most faithful and efficient members. He was a model in industry and attentiveness to the requirements of camp and field, and was ever looking ahead to secure best results and promote the best interests of his comrades and himself. He was promoted Sergeant on the death of Hayes, Gettysburg, July 2, 1863. He was with the Company all through its service, save a few months when he was in hospital, having been severely wounded at Spottsylvania C. H. in the charge on morning of May 12, '64, shot through both thighs as he leaped to the top of the rebel breastworks. Was in all the important battles. When released from military duty he moved with his wife and little daughter to his farm in Dent county, Mo., which he had left in '61 on account of the border troubles. His spirit of industry and his integrity secured for him a pleasant and prosperous home and a good record in citizenship. He died April 16, 1901, and was buried in the Laketon cemetery, Lake Spring, Mo.

     26. James E. Cochran, Paris, was nearly all the time with the Company. Was absent sick a little, dropped out a little in the severe campaign of '64, and was on detached duty some. It was almost impossible to get any data of him after the close of service. James Noah said he went west to Rock Island, in '65. From the Pension Commissioner's records it appears that he died April 7, 1902, of pneumonia, Barnesville, O., and was buried in cemetery there.

     27. John M. Day, Morris Township, was a good-hearted man, but seemed physically unable to withstand the hardships of active service. This was attested on march to the front and in winter work at Falmouth, Va. Before the winter was over he was sent to the hospital, and there continued till discharged at Philadelphia, Dec. 12, '63, for disability. He led a quiet life in his rural home, died from heart trouble May 30, 1903, and was buried in Fairmount United Brethren cemetery, East Finley Township.

     28. Benjamin McCullough, Candor, was a man of excellent spirit. and truly loyal, but was not physically made for a drilled soldier. He was detailed April 28, '63, as driver in the Ambulance Corps, and served a good deal on detached duty. Mustered out with the Company. He died of dropsy at his home in Steubenville, Ohio, July 15, 1904, while the writer was about departing for his home in the west, after five weeks of close work in the interests of the Company history. He was buried in the soldier's lot in the cemetery. For months he was a great sufferer, and Comrades Sweeney and Lyle were attentive to his wants and ministered comfort and aid to him.

     29. George W. Johnson, East Finley Tp., was as true and faithful a soldier as K had in its ranks - ever ready for duty. His soldiering was characterized with cheerfulness, a trait that counted much in the common soldier experience. He was wounded at Petersburg, Va. He was practically with the Company all the way from start to finish, and no one more than he enjoyed the Grand Review in Washington City, and no one was more pleased than he to return, after the Union was preserved, to the peaceful life of home amid friends and in time his own family. He was faithful in the common pursuits of industry. The writer greatly enjoyed a visit iii his home in June, 1904, and when 14 of K met in Burgettstown, Pa., in an impromptu reunion, he was there, as "happy as a lark." But in August, being almost totally deaf, as he was crossing a street at a crossing where the electric car line turned, a car struck him and the injury therefrom, despite the skill of physician or care of loving friends, resulted in his death Sept. 10, 1904. Services were held at his residence, 213 W. Maiden street, Washington, Pa., and the body laid to rest in the Washington cemetery.

     30. Ulysses S. Wheeler, Eldersville, was a noble-hearted fellow and a worthy soldier. He was closely connected with the fortunes of K throughout, was slightly wounded at Chancellorsville, May, '63, and was wounded in the battle of Todd's Tavern, May 8, '64. After the war was over he was delighted in exchanging the weapons of strife for the implements of industry; and he ever lived the life of a worthy citizen on his farm near Eldersville. It was the privilege and great pleasure of the writer in June, '04, to visit him there and enjoy a few hours with him and wife. He had been suffering seriously from heart trouble, but was jovial and contented. He wrote me a cheerful letter just three weeks before his death. How pained I was when I received a card from Comrade D. M. Pry, dated Oct. 5, 1904, saying, "Our old Comrade Wheeler dropped dead this morning on his porch. He had his team hitched up ready to start to our fair" - Burgettstown, Pa. He was buried at Steubenville, Ohio.

     31. Henderson Scott, Paris, was unable to withstand active soldier life, and was among the first in K to be discharged. This was when the 140th was at Falmouth, before its first experience in battle, and by a special order of the War Department. He re-enlisted in the 103rd Reg't, P. V., when it was stationed at Roanoke Island, N. C., and remained in garrison duty till the close of the war. Then like many a soldier he cast his lot in the west and engaged in mining. Was severely injured in a cave-in. When written to in Eagleville, California, he replied in a very friendly letter. But in June, 1905, (a letter addressed him being returned unclaimed) in answer to an inquiry the postmaster at Sierraville, Calif., wrote me that Henderson Scott died in that place Feb. 9, 1905, and that he had been buried there. That he had no family.