Dr. Frank LeMoyne Hupp supported nursing education and was loved by nurses throughout the state. When he died in 1929, a Scholarship Loan Fund was established in his honor. Born July 8, 1865, he was the son of Dr. John Cox Hupp and Caroline Louise Todd, the daughter of Dr. A. S. Todd of Wheeling.
THE HUPP FUND
The same year [as the Wall Street Crash of 1929] also marked the passing of one of nursing's warmest friends, Dr. Frank L. Hupp of Wheeling, since 1919 a potent force for the improvement of nursing conditions and standards on the Board of Examiners. Following his death in December, SNA members immediately went to work to design suitable memorial for this man who, with Mrs. Wilson, had done so much to mold the modern nursing program during the 1920's. And although many of his contributions are discussed in Chapter III, it would be well here to note for a moment this unique memorial that finally was established; for it was undoubtedly one of the SNA's great achievements of this decade.
The 1930 Fairmont convention named a committee to consider the memorial, and the largest SNA membership yet - 559 nurses - pledged their support. The memorial took the form of the Dr. Frank LeMoyne Hupp Scholarship Loan Fund, to finance post-graduate work in nursing education for "worthy young women, resident of West Virginia for at least three years." Good moral character and need were about the only additional prerequisites. The loan was to be made for periods not to exceed two years, with repayment scheduled for three years after completion of the post-graduate program.
The way the fund grew was the most eloquent testimony the SNA could possibly have given to Dr. Hupp's memory. From the alumnae of the Ohio Valley General School of Nursing came the first check, and shortly after another from Dr. Elizabeth Hupp, "Dr. Frank's" widow. By the time the SNA gathered in Huntington in 1931 to start a year-long celebration of its 25th anniversary, more than $1000 was in the fund, and the first applicants had been approved. Mrs. Hupp died in 1939, leaving an additional $500. A daughter and Dr. Hupp's brother also continued their contributions. In all, the Hupp family contributed well over $1000 in the first 10 years. Meanwhile, hospitals, schools of nursing alumnae, the SNA and its district organizations - all these and others continued to build the fund. Within 20 years, it had approached $10,000. Post-graduate work in anesthesia, public health nursing, tuberculosis nursing, obstetric nursing, and numerous other nursing fields attracted an increasing number of state graduates, with the Hupp fund providing the money for those who needed it. The fund actually found by 1947 that it had "too much money just not being used," and announced in the Weather Vane that there were 12 scholarships of $500 each that "are not working at present." A committee recommended in 1950 that the loans be increased to $1000 each, with no interest if repaid within the three-year period, but with extension available thereafter at 6 per cent interest. Personal contributions were not to be sought until the fund was more generally used. Even today, less than half of the fund is in use at most times, so warm has been the state's response to this memorial to one of nursing's truest colleagues.
On December 26, 1929, individual nurses in West Virginia, as well as the State Nurses' Association, lost an understanding friend and benefactor in the death of Dr. Frank LeMoyne Hupp. A member of the State Board of Nurse Examiners for ten years and its president for eight years, a regular attendant at the annual meetings of the Association, and always interested in schools of nursing, Dr. Hupp was thoroughly conversant with the problems involved in nursing education. Donating his time, his services and finances, as well, he made many trips both in West Virginia and elsewhere in the interests of nursing. As a member of the surgical staff of the Ohio Valley General Hospital, Wheeling, he was instrumental in having that school of nursing approved by the New York Board of Regents.
Sympathetic and approachable, Dr. Hupp was known and loved by nurses throughout the state. Wishing to honor his memory, a Scholarship Loan Fund was formed and named for him. The Fund, organized in 1931 and administered by a board of trustees of the West Virginia State Nurses' Association, may be borrowed in $500 amounts without interest for two years by nurse members who are eligible for the loan. To date (1940), the Fund is $5166.50, of which the Hupp family (the late Dr. Elizabeth Hupp (widow), Miss Elizabeth Hupp, daughter, and Mr. Archie T. Hupp, brother) have contributed $1025.00. The balance was donations from District Associations, Alumnae Associations, and individuals. Twenty-seven nurses have benefited by the Fund. Mrs. Jean T. Dillon, R. N., who was appointed the first chairman of the Board of Trustees, was largely instrumental in the compilation of the loan forms which are still in use. A Board of Trustees of five nurses, two of whom are elected annually, administer the Fund. For the past two years, the entire amount of the Fund has been in continuous use.
The first Board of trustees was composed of: Jean T. Dillon, Chairman, Charleston; Ora A. Campion, Treasurer, Elkins; Jennie Fontaine Wilson, Wheeling; Fannie S. Welsh, Martinsburg; Sister M. Stanislaus, Wheeling.