12th LOGO

JOHN A. BRYSON, Company "A"


"History of the Upper Ohio Valley" Vol. II, 1890; page 691

J. A. BRYSON, a well-known business man of Centerville, is a son of the above named Isaiah and Mary Bryson, and was born on Captina creek, April 5, 1843. He received his education at Moundsville, W.Va., and when he had reached his nineteenth year he enlisted in the union army as a member of Company A, Twelfth Virginia infantry, August 11, 1862, and served gallantly during the remainder of the war, receiving an honorable discharge June 16,1865. Upon his return to Mounds- ville he engaged in merchandise for a short time, and then in the year 1866 was occupied in gardening. He removed to Centerville, Ohio, in the fall of that year, and embarked in the mercantile business, in which he has continued until the present. He is a leading and enterprising citizen, and at present is serving as postmaster, to which office he was appointed September 5, 1885, and as township treasurer, as which he is filling his third term. Mr. Bryson is a member of G. A. R. Post No. 595. February 25, 1875, he was married to Martha A. Hukill, who was born May 16, 1853, and they have had three children: Franklin, born January 16, 1876; Harry, deceased, born May 9, 1878, and Lawrence, born August 29, 1888. Mrs. Bryson is a member of the Concord Presbyterian church.