FABRICIUS A. CATHER, Captain, Company "K"; Major
Formerly 1st Lieut. 5th W.Va. Cavalry

History of the Fifth West Virginia Cavalry
Frank S. Reader, 1890; page 57.

     F. A. Cather was a native of Harrison county, Va., born May 12, 1840. His occupation before and after the war was farming. He was received into the membership of the Baptist church at Flemington, Va., and was baptized in 1856. He was a man of upright character, and of strong convictions in his devotion to his country. He cast his first vote in May 1861, against the ordinance of secession, and was firm and true in the trying scenes that preceded the war. He enlisted in Company B, and was commissioned First Lieutenant. He was with his company in all its service to January 1862. In consequence of exposure his health was much impaired, and he was assigned to recruiting service at Clarksburg, Va., Jan. 10, 1862. His health continued to grow worse, and May 20, 1862 he was pronounced unable to stand military duty, and he offered his resignation, which was accepted. He tried to regain his health by travel and seemed to improve, and desired to re-enlist, but his physician advised him not to do so. He was dissatisfied to remain at home while his comrades were serving their country so bravely. In March 1864, he enlisted in the First West Virginia Veteran Cavalry, and was commissioned First Lieutenant. He was promoted to Captain of Company K. February 7, 1865, and Major June 8, 1865, and was honorably discharged in July 1865. He was in the campaign with Hunter and Sheridan in the valley of Virginia, and took part in the closing battles of the war, when General Grant's forces compelled General Lee to surrender. He was in several severe battles, having his horse shot under him on two separate occasions, and proved himself to be a brave and true soldier, a worthy member of his old regiment. Major Cather was married in Grafton, W.Va., August 17, 1865, to Miss Helen V. Mallonee. His health became very poor, and in 1871 he moved to Sedgewick county, Kansas, in the hope of finding relief and health, but he died at his home in that state October 7, 1876. He was steadfast in his faith in Christ, and the evening before his death he talked calmly about it, and said hoped soon to be with those who were rejoicing.