JAMES L. HENDERSON, Corporal, Company "B"
JAMES L. HENDERSON, is named in the biography of the HENDERSON FAMILY in Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania, by J. H. Beers, 1893; page 769.
JOSEPH HENDERSON, a worthy representative of one of the oldest families of Washington county, and one of its best-known and most highly respected citizens, was born June 3, 1817, in Chartiers township, Washington Co., Penn., a son of William Henderson, a native of eastern Pennsylvania.
William Henderson married a Miss Patterson, and had children as follows: Samuel, born January 29, 1784; John, born November 18, 1785; William, born January 10, 1788; Martha, born June 30, 1789; Hugh, born April 2, 1791; Thomas, born March 22, 1793; James, born December 18, 1794; Nancy, born in March, 1798, and Elizabeth, born August 28, 1801. The mother of this family dying, Mr. Henderson married, for his second wife, Mrs. Elay (Seffrey) Kain, widow of Jacob Kain, by whom she had children as follows: Jacob, born in October, 1797; Agnes, born August 13, 1799; John, born May 31, 1801; Sarah, born August 4, 1803, and Mary, born June 22, 1805. To the marriage of William Henderson with Mrs. Elay Kain, there came a family of five children, viz.: Matthew, born June 26, 1810; Ealy, born May 31, 1812; David F., born November 9, 1814; Joseph, born June 3, 1817, and Jennie, born January 15, 1822. In July, 1842, the father was called from earth, and was interred in the cemetery at North Church, Buffalo township. In politics he was an active Whig, and in religion a member of the Seceder Church. From the time of his coming to Washington county he was a resident of Chartiers township, where he successfully carried on farming and coopering. Mrs. Elay Henderson died in 1865.
Joseph Henderson, whose name opens this sketch, passed his early life in his native township, where he received his education. On October 12, 1841, he was united in marriage with Rebecca, daughter of James Laird, by whom he had one son, James L., a sketch of whom follows. This wife dying May 12, 1853, Mr. Henderson married in May, 1859, Anna B., daughter of James Stewart, of Chartiers township. Our subject is a member of the United Presbyterian Church at Washington, and since 1871 has been an elder and office-holder in the church at Cross Roads. He is now living retired in Washington.
James L. Henderson, son of Joseph and Rebecca (Laird) Henderson, is a native of Washington county, born in Chartiers township, March 6, 1844. His boyhood was passed on the home place until he was seventeen years old, when he enlisted in August, 1861, in Company B, First Virginia Cavalry; serving with distinction under Gens. Shields and Sheridan. When the regiment was mustered out he returned home, and entered Duff's Business College, from which he was graduated with high honors. On December 15, 1866, he was married to S. Jennie, daughter of John and Sarah (Harsha) Shaw, and the children born to this union are: Joseph B., Sarah R., Frank T., James L., and Earnest G. Mr. Henderson is extensively engaged in stock dealing and raising, and is one of the best-known importers of sheep and cattle in his section; he owns one of the finest herds of cattle ever introduced into the county, one which he has collected regardless of labor and expense. In his political predilections he has always supported the Republican party, but close application to business has prevented his accepting political preferments. He has taken an active interest in educational matters, both in Chartiers and Canton townships, and is now serving his fourth term as school director. Mr. Henderson and his family are members of the United Presbyterian Church at Washington.
Submitted by Linda Fluharty.