William J. Brown, one of the notable men of Elm Grove, Ohio county, has held the position of justice of the peace for Triadelphia district since his first election in 1876, and has made an honorable record. He was born at West Alexandria, Washington county, Penn., January 31, 1844, the son of George and Sarah (Chisnell) Brown. The father was born July 4, 1801, in Washington county, and was married April 5, 1838, to Miss Chisnell, who was born January 5, 1815, in Lancaster county, Penn. They had one son and one daughter. The father died April 17, 1859; the mother is still living. William J. was reared in his native place, and was attending school there when the war broke out. He at once enlisted in the Union army as a member of Company B, First West Virginia cavalry, August 23, 1861, and served as became a brave and patriotic man, for three years and three months. His regiment has a notable record among the bravest of the army. It served under the brave Kilpatrick and George A. Custer, and was engaged in seventy-three engagements. It lost two brigadier generals, Bayard and Farnsworth, the latter being killed while leading the right wing of the army in a charge against Hoods' division at Gettysburg. The regiment has to its credit at Washington, eight captured battle flags, three more than was taken by any other regiment of the army. At the close of the war Mr. Brown acquired the blacksmith's trade, and removed to Ohio county, in 1866. Two years later he was elected clerk of the board of education, as which he served two years, and then declined re-election. He is a member of the Mystic lodge K. P., at Elm Grove, and of the grand lodge of the state. Mr. Brown was married September 28, 1869, to Sarah K. Burkham, who was born December 20, 1842, the daughter of Isaac and Nancy Burkham, of Ohio county. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have five children: Nannie J., born September 13, 1870; Georgia, December 4, 1872; W. B., February 29, 1876; Frank, January, 1881; Allen C., November 1O, 1885.

Source: History of the Upper Ohio Valley, Brant & Fuller, 1890.
Vol. I, pages 498-499.

Submitted by Linda Fluharty.