History of the Upper Ohio Valley
Henry J. Harris, was born on the farm he now owns, and on which he lives, in the year 1844. He is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Hubbs) Harris. The former died in February, 1866, and Mrs. Harris died October 18, 1886. They were early settlers of Marshall county, and were held in great esteem by the community at large. They left six
children: John M., Emily, Joseph, Agnes, Elias R. and H. J. The latter first left home to offer his life and services to his country durng the war of the rebellion. He served with Company D, First West Virginia infantry, until discharged in 1864 for a total disability.
He acted bravely, as it became a patriotic soldier to do, in the battles of Winchester, Fort Republic, Cedar Mountain, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Gettysburg, Piedmont, Lexington, Va., Lynchburg and also in many minor engagements. It is very seldom that a man receives such a wound as his and lives. At the battle of Lynchburg he received a rifle-shot wound in the head. It was an ounce ball, and entered near the front central portion of the forehead, entering
the head and passing out at the right temple, carrying away a considerable portion of the skull with it. It has been a subject of much comment from the surgical profession. It is the more wonderful as he was left upon the battle-field, and was taken prisoner by the enemy, remaining in their custody until paroled some three months later. Totally unfit for further fighting, Mr. Harris soon after began farming, which he has since followed with unvarying success,
being a progressive, practical farmer. November 8, 1873, he married Mary V., daughter of Thomas and Mary (Davis) Greathouse. Five children are the issue of this marriage: Sophia, Manford, Elmore, Calla and Bertha. An intelligent, useful family. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are both members of the church of Latter Day Saints. Mr. Harris is also on the roster of Post No. 77, G.A.R. He is a republican. There is no doubt but that H. J. Harris's farm is one of
the finest farm properties in that section of the state.
Brant & Fuller, 1890; Vol. I, page 674.