JAMES A. HENRY.
"History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia
James A. Henry, ex-member of the police force, and formerly justice of the peace, of Wheeling, West Virginia, is now a prominent real
estate dealer in this city. He was born October 4, 1844, in West
Wheeling, West Virginia, and is a son of John and Rachel (Anderson)
Representative Citizens," by Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902; pages 458-459.
John Henry was born in 1809, of German parentage, in France,
near Strasburg. In 1830 he emigrated from that country and landed at
Baltimore, Maryland, on August 1st of that year. He was a shoemaker
by trade, and followed that occupation until his death, in East
Wheeling, on May 6, 1871. He was united in marriage with Rachel
Anderson, a Virginian by birth, who first saw the light of day at New
Creek, West Virginia, May 21, 1811. This union was blessed with five
children, namely: James A.; David A. I., a baker on Chapline street,
Wheeling; John L., a patrol drive in the Wheeling police department;
Mary (Lunan), of Wheeling, whose husband is a successful blacksmith;
and Theodore J. The mother of these children died October 30, 1868.
James A. Henry was reared in Wheeling, and attended the fourth
ward public schools, having moved with his father from West Wheeling
to East Wheeling at the age of six years. After the termination of
his school days he worked in the rolling mills, brickyards, etc. He
then became a member of the police force under Conant, Davis and
Ripley; he did office work under Davis and Ripley and was constable
for two years, after which he engaged in the real estate business in
1878, buying and selling real estate, collecting government claims
and attending to pensions. His office was at first on Market street,
but was afterward changed to the present location at No. 1612 Main
street, where it has been for the past five years. Mr. Henry gives
his entire attention to his business, and is assisted in office work
by his daughter.
Mr. Henry built the building in which he now has his office,
and has been so successful in his business that in 1896 he erected
the building known in Wheeling as the Henry Block. It is composed of
stores, a barber shop, a restaurant and a dwelling, and the building
is 64 by 64 feet in dimensions. Mr. Henry also owns property on Main
street, East Wheeling, and in Martin's Ferry, Ohio.
The subject of this sketch has been twice married. February 7,
1869, he was united with Mary Heck, who bore him five children, three
of whom are deceased, as is also the mother, who died in 1893. Those
living are Nellie G., who assists her father; and Hardy D., who is
engaged in clerical work in New York City. November 1, 1894, Mr.
Henry contracted a second matrimonial alliance, this time with Mrs.
Mary H. Dinger, widow of C. H. Dinger, who formerly dealt in hats,
wholesale and retail. One child, Anderson, who is still at home,
blessed this union.
In politics, Mr. Henry has been a Republican most of his life,
but is now independent. At the age of seventeen years he enlisted in
Company A, 1st Reg. Va. Vol. Inf. He saw a large amount of service
in Virginia and West Virginia, and was held a prisoner for six months
at Belle Isle, Richmond, and at Libby and Pemberton prisons. He
served three years and two months, and was mustered out of service
November 26, 1864, and returned to Wheeling. Mr. Henry is a
prominent member of J. W. Holliday Post, No. 12, G. A. R. He is
liberal in his religious views, but his family favors the M. E.