JOHN W. SCHULTZE
History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens
John W. Schultze, a well-known resident of Wheeling, West Virginia, has been constantly in public office since 1856, and stands high in public esteem. He was born in Ohio, just across the river from Wheeling, at the head of Whiskey Run, January 27, 1836, and is a son of Frederick and Louisa M. (Koch) Schultze.
Hon. Gibson Lamb Cranmer, 1902; pages 735-737.
Frederick Schultze was born in Germany, the family having a hereditary ownership in Lamb's Springs, on the Isle of Alsen. He and a friend, Mr. Hirsch, were inmates of a monastery together, and were educated for the Catholic priesthood. Becoming dissatisfied, and not feeling suited for that calling, both withdrew from the monastery. Mr. Schultze went to Denmark, where he became confidential secretary to a Danish landgrave, and after a time went to Omalieth, in the province of Hanover, where his parents lived, and where he learned the trade of glassblower, at Bipehart. He was married there and then crossed the Atlantic to this country, and located at Wheeling. After working in glass works for a time in East Wheeling, he engaged in the hotel business where the National Exchange Bank of Wheeling now stands. He conducted a hotel there for six months, and when the bank was built, moved to another building on Main street, near the bridge. In 1839 he moved to Ritchie town, where he rented the old Eckels House. In 1841, he built the White Horse tavern, which still stands. In 1853, he built a fine 10-room house at the corner of Thirty-third and Chapline streets, where John W. Schultze now resides and has his office. Here he conducts a hotel until 1856, when he retired from active business. In December, 1870, he died at the advanced age of eighty-three years, lacking two weeks. His widow died in May, 1876, at the age of seventy-nine years. The following children blessed this union: Henry, a saddler and glass-blower, who died in 1892, leaving one son, A. J., who is a photographer Charles, deceased; John W.; and Theodore, a glassblower, who died in 1876.
John W. Schultze was reared at Wheeling and attended school thirteen years. He first helped his father in the manufacture of vinegar and in 1856, when his brother Henry was elected sergeant and collector, became his deputy, and has since been continually in public life. He also served as deputy to William Young, who succeeded his brother, and in 1858 secured the office himself. He served as sergeant and collector until 1861, and then enlisted in Company B, 1st Reg., Va. Vol. Inf., serving as captain's private secretary in the commissary department three months. Upon his discharge, he returned to Wheeling, was reelected sergeant and collector and served until 1863. He was then elected constable of the township when the state was formed, and held that position until 1867. In October, 1867, he was elected a justice of the peace, an official capacity he has since maintained. He served as a member of the board of county commissioners from 1872 to 1880, during which time he was chairman of the poor farm committee. During his term great improvements were made at the poor farm, and the condition of its inmates was greatly improved. During the war, he was enrolling officer for the 10th subdistrict, and drafted soldiers for the government. From 1878, he was member of the first branch of the city council of Wheeling and served six years. In 1882, he was elected county coroner, and with the exception of two years has filled that office since. He also attends to a large amount of legal business, his territory extending from the vicinity of Moundsville to Wheeling Creek, and his office being at his home.
Mr. Schultze was joined in marriage with Anna M. Kappler, who was born in Pittsburg, and is a daughter of Frank Kappler, a potter by trade, who came to this country from Alsace, and died of cholera in 1849. The former Mrs. Kappler is still living, being the widow of a Mr. Blatt, and one of her sons, John Blatt, is a deputy sheriff of Wetzel county, West Virginia. Mrs. Blatt is about eighty years of age, and is the mother of 17 children - three of them by Mr. Kappler. Mrs. Schultze was four years of age when she was brought to Rose Hill farm, near Bellaire, and there reared to womanhood. Mr. and Mrs. Schultze became the parents of 11 children, as follows: Emma; Charles F.; Sarah Jane; Theodore; John W.; George O. D.; Anna M.; H. Walter; August K.; Blackburn B. D.; and Hattie B. Emma died at the age of sixteen years; Charles F., assistant superintendent of mails in the Wheeling post office, was born in this city in 1865. He attended the public schools and worked for the glass manufacturing concern of Hobbs, Brockunier & Company from 1881 until October 17, 1887. On that date he entered the post office under Postmaster W. J. W. Cowden, as mailing clerk. He married Ella J. Carson, of Wetzel county, West Virginia. In January, 1901, he was elected a member of the board of education, and is also a notary public. He is a member of the Knights Templar, and present master of Ohio Lodge, No. 1, A.F. & A.M., and is a Thirty-second degree Mason. He was at one time captain of the local organization of the Sons of Veterans, and belongs to Black Prince Lodge, No. 19, K. of P., the Protected Home Circle, B.P.O.E., and the United Post Office Clerks' Association. Sarah Jane, the third child born to her parents, is the wife of Samuel G. Wells, a railroad man of Wheeling. Theodore, a potter and glass worker by trade, lives at home. John W., Jr., and George O. D. are also potters by trade, the latter being married. Anna M. is in the office of the National Telephone Company of West Virginia. H. Walter is a potter at East Liverpool, Ohio. August K. is a boss packer for the Wheeling Pottery Company. Blackburn B. D. is a potter and lives at home, and Hattie B. also lives at home. With the five grandchildren, there are four generations of the family living.
Mr. Schultze has always been an active Republican. He is a member of Black Prince Lodge, No. 19, K. of P., and past grand chancellor of the Grand Lodge of West Virginia; has served through all the chairs and was first state counsellor of Washington Council, No. 1, O.U.A.M.; and belongs to LaBelle Lodge, No. 2, A.O.U.W., and J. W. Holliday Post, No. 12, G.A.R. He was originally a member of Filbourne Post, No. 4, which was established at Wheeling in the "sixties." In religious belief, he favors the Luthern church.
History of the Upper Ohio Valley
Brant & Fuller, 1890; Vol. I, page 335.
John W. Schultze, for many years a valued and popular public officer of Wheeling, was born in Pultney township, Belmont county, Ohio,
January 27, 1836. He is a son of August Carl Frederick Schultze, and his wife, whose maiden name was Maria L. Koch, both of whom were natives of Hanover. They came to America in July, 1833, and settled at Wheeling, but two years later removed to Belmont county, where the
father cleared and improved a farm. Subsequently returning to Wheeling, the father who was a window-glass blower by trade, followed his vocation for some time. In 1839 he was proprietor of a hotel on the site of the present Exchange bank on Twelfth and Main streets, which he kept for nearly six months. He was subsequently engaged in business until 1856. His death occurred December 21, 1870. He reared a family of four children in America, Henry, Charles, John W.
and Theodore. John W. Schultze spent his childhood and youth at Wheeling and vicinity, received his early education in the common schools and was graduated at the Nichols & Holliday business college in 1852. At the age of ten years he began to learn the manufacture of cider and vinegar with his father, who opened a factory for that purpose in Ritchietown, in 1841, and he remained in this business until 1856, when he was appointed deputy sergeant for South Wheeling, under his brother Henry. This position he held until 1858, when he was elected sergeant, an office he held for three years. At the outbreak of the war he testified to his devotion to country by enlisting May 11, 1861, in Company B, of the famous First Virginia
infantry, and served three months, then receiving an honorable discharge. Returning home he was again elected sergeant in 1862, and in 1863, was elected constable for Ritchie township, which office he held for four years. He was also during the war period, enrolling officer for the tenth sub-district. In 1866, he was appointed register of Ritchie township, Ohio county, which position he held for five years. In May, 1867, he was appointed alderman of South
Wheeling, and in the following May, was elected to the same position, a position he held until 1870. In the meantime, in October, 1867, he was elected justice of the peace, an office which he has honorably and efficiently filled ever since. During the time that he held the office of alderman, which closed with the annexation of South Wheeling, he had the record of having collected more fines than all previous incumbents together up to the time he took office. In 1872, he was elected commissioner of Ohio county, and he has since that time served in all eight years in that function. He has also, since 1881, held the office of coroner eight years in succession. Justice Schultze is prominent as a member of the Knights of Pythias, of which
he was grand chancellor for the state for the term ending November, 1879. He is also a member of Washington council, No. 1, Order of United American Mechanics, of which he is state counsellor; of the A. O. U. W.; and of Holliday post, No. 12, G. A. R. Politically he has
always been a republican. Mr. Schultze was married February 28, 1864, to Anna M., daughter of Frank Kappler, of Pittsburgh, and to them have been born eleven children: Charles F., Emma E., now dead; Theodore, Sarah J. (now Mrs. Samuel Wells), John W., Jr., George O. D., Henry W., Anna M., August K., Blackburn B. D., and Hattie B.
History of The Pan-Handle, West Virginia
John W. Schultze, is a native of Belmont county, Ohio, and was born on the 27th of January, 1836. His father was the late August Carl Frederick Schultze, of Hanover; born in 1788 and died in Wheeling, 1870 - having come to America in 1833. At the age of ten years, John W. Schultze commenced to learn the manufacture of vinegar and cider with his father, who in 1839 opened such a factory in Ritchietown. He continued in this business till 1856, when he was appointed deputy sergeant for Ritchietown under his brother Henry. He continued in that office till 1861 when he was elected sergeant. But being brim full of patriotism, in the latter year he volunteered in the First Virginia infantry on three months service. Returning home he was again elected sergeant in 1862, and from 1863 to 1867 he was constable for the district. During the rebellion he also acted as enrolling officer for the Tenth sub-district. In 1867 he was elected alderman for the town of South Wheeling, and the following October elected justice of the peace. He held his aldermanship till Ritchietown was annexed to Wheeling in 1870, but his office of Justice does not expire till January 1st, 1881. He was a county commissioner from 1872 to 1876, and re-elected last October (1878) for two years more. He was further elected, last November (1878) grand chancellor of the grand lodge of Knights of Pythias of West Virginia - has been a notary public for many years, and a prominent supporter of the J. W. Schultze Boat Club, which has been named, out of compliment, after him. He was married February 28th, 1864, to Ann M., oldest daughter of Frank Kappler, of Pittsburgh, by whom he has a family of six boys and two girls. For over a score of years has Squire Schultze been one of the most popular men and indispensable public officers in Wheeling.
1879, by J. H. Newton,
G. G. Nichols, and A. G. Sprankle, 1879. Pages 262-263