ORGANIZATION OF THE REGIMENT.
The three months men who had so gallantly and successfully carried the flag over Laurel Hill and Rich Mountain, were now sent to the rear to be mustered out, their term of service having expired, and the field was being occupied by three years troops. Ohio and Indiana were sending their brave men to the front, some of whom were encamped at Beverly, and Col. Balsley, Sixth Ohio Infantry, had command of the post at that place. Loyal Western Virginia was busy raising troops for its own defence and the support of the national authority, and men from all over the section were inquiring for the best place to give their services. The Second Regiment Virginia Volunteer Infantry, now being enlisted in various sections, was ordered to rendezvous at Beverly for organization, the first regiment in the state enlisted for the three years service. Company after company reported at Camp Carlisle, and were mustered into the United States service. This camp was located in the Fair grounds on Wheeling Island, at Wheeling, and was named after Hon. John S. Carlisle, one of the most prominent loyalists of the state, distinguished for his services to his country, and one of the ablest Representatives of the state in Congress.
Companies A, D, F and G came from Pittsburg, Pa.; Company I from Greenfield and California, Washington county, Pa.; Company H from Ironton, O.; Company B from Grafton, Va.; Company C from Wheeling, Va.; Company E from Monroe and Belmont counties, O., and Wetzel, Taylor and Ritchie counties, Va.; and Company K from Parkersburg, Va., and Bridgeport, O. The companies met together at Beverly, Va., in the latter part of July, and were organized as the Second Regiment Virginia Infantry. Dr. John W. Moss, of Parkersburg, Va., was commissioned Colonel, Robert Moran Lieutenant Colonel, J. D. Owens Major, Rev. J. W. W. Bolton Chaplain, Dr. R. W. Hazlett Surgeon, Dr. Sample Ford Assistant Surgeon, Lieut. H. G. Jackson Adjutant, and Lieut. Webster A. Stevens Regimental Quartermaster. The following are the field officers, and non-commissioned staff, with the date of entering service, and the record of each.
An earnest effort has been made to secure a good sketch of the life and services of each of the field officers and non-commissioned staff, which has been accomplished except in a few cases. In a few instances, it was not possible to get the desired information, and no sketch is made, but the name is simply placed in the roll of honorable record and service, of itself glory enough for anyone. The individual sketches will be found very interesting and valuable, and as much as any other part of the work, show the struggles and heroic deeds, that led to the formation of the grand army that saved the nation. The writer very much regrets that he could not have a complete notice of everyone, but he found it impossible. The sketches of the chaplain, quartermaster, and others connected with the quartermaster department, will be found in the special articles in later chapters of this work.
Dr. John W. Moss was born in Fairfax county, Va., October 4, 1816. He received a collegiate education in a Virginia school, and was graduated in medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, and located at Parkersburg, Va., in 1840, to practice his profession. Politically he was devoted to the principles of the Whig party, and was regarded as one of
its leaders in that section of the state. He was opposed to the theory of state's rights, and strong in the belief that a citizen's just allegiance was due to the general government. After the passage of the ordinance of secession by the Virginia convention at Richmond, he aided in inaugurating the movement to save his part of the state to the Union, and was president of the convention held for that purpose in the city of Wheeling, May 13, 1861. He was also a member of the convention of June 11, 1861 at Wheeling, called to form the "Reorganized Government of Virginia," which was recognized by the Federal authorities. He was elected to the House of Delegates of the general assembly, which met in Wheeling July 1, 1861, and while serving in that body, he was commissioned colonel of the Second Virginia Infantry. Colonel Moss commanded his regiment with ability, and had the respect of his command, resigning his commission May 20, 1862. On August 22, 1862, he was commissioned surgeon of the Fourteenth West Virginia Infantry, and served as such until his death at Petersburg, W. Va., January 2, 1864.
George Robert Latham was born in Prince William county, Virginia, in sight of the Bull Run battle ground, March 9, 1832. His father's name was John; mother's, Juliet A. - maiden name, Newman. He is the third of ten children, eight of whom grew to man or womanhood. Of five brothers living at the breaking out of the rebellion, four entered the army. James W., then living in Iowa, entered Col. Fitz Henry Warren's First Iowa Cavalry, and was with Wilson's cavalry which captured Jeff. Davis. John T. was a lieutenant in Bat. E., First W. Va. Lt. Art., and Benj. F. was lieutenant, and adjutant, Seventeenth W. Va. Infantry. Abner O. was not physically able for military service, and is now chief of the Diplomatic and Consular Bureau in the Fifth Auditor's office, Washington, D. C. James W. and Benj. F. have died since the war.
His father was a farmer, and he was reared on the farm. In November, 1849, his father moved with his family into Western Virginia, and settled in Taylor County. George R., as a youth, was of very studious habits and good memory; but enjoyed limited means of acquiring an education, having access to such schools only as the state of Virginia then afforded, and that during the winter months only. In January 1850, he was taken with a severe attack of pleurisy, followed by general prostration, from which he was totally disabled for farm work for three years, and which broke up the plan of home study he had marked out and just entered upon. In 1852, having partially regained health, he took a country school and followed teaching in Taylor, and Barbour counties, Va., until the winter of 1859. From 1855 to 1861 he was a citizen of Grafton, where he married December 24, 1858, Miss Caroline A. Thayer, a daughter of Franklin and Mary Thayer, then of Monongalia county, Va. While teaching school he turned his attention to the study of the law and in the last week of 1859, passed the necessary examination and was admitted to the bar, opening the first law office in Grafton.
At this time, Rev. Simeon Siegfried was publishing the Grafton Sentinel, Grafton's first newspaper, to which Mr. Latham became an occasional contributor, participating to some extent, without an interest, in its management. About the time of the Presidential nominations for 1860 the Sentinel suspended, and he took the office and published a campaign paper called the Western Virginian, in the interest of Bell and Everett. After the election it became evident to those who watched the sentiment, and knew the reckless determination of those who controlled it, in the south, that there would be "unpleasantness." In this border section business was now practically suspended, and all was excitement and preparation.
Upon the passage of the ordinance of secession, the union delegates from Western Virginia returned home, many of them leaving Richmond in disguise at night in order to escape with their lives. No one who had voted against the ordinance was safe to remain after it had passed, who did not immediately "flop over," as some did. Mr. L., in view of these facts, published an editorial about this time in which he said: "Considering the treatment of the Western Virginia delegates to the convention, we do sincerely hope that no Western Virginia constituency will ever again be represented in the present capital of the state." Viewed in the light of subsequent history, this wish partakes of the nature of prophecy. He also wrote for publication about this time, a call for a convention in Western Virginia - the first that was written.
Col. Porterfield, with a battalion of troops from Augusta and adjoining counties, was now at Phillippi, sixteen miles south of Grafton, where he was joined by Barbour county volunteers. W. P. Thompson had organized a company at Fairmont, Marion county, and moved to Fetterman, one and one-half miles west of Grafton, where he was joined by a company of Taylor county rebels under Hansbrough. The union leaders, though at a disadvantage, the rebels having the start by way of organization, were by no means inactive, and Mr. Latham was in constant correspondence with all the leading union men of the State.
About two weeks before the election, Mr. Latham hoisted a large United States flag over his law office and turned it into a recruiting office. Maj. James Oakes, as mustering officer, and Capt. Wm. Craig, as quartermaster, of the regular army, had, in the meantime, been stationed at Wheeling, to muster into the United States service, such volunteers from Virginia as might present themselves. Mr. Latham at once placed himself in communication with them, often visiting them at Wheeling, and they gave him all the information and advice he needed. By the 20th of May he had a full company enrolled, which afterwards became Company B, and was the first union company recruited in the interior of the State. He and the company determined to remain in Grafton and vote before leaving for Wheeling. About this time a little incident occurred which is probably worthy of note. The flag, before mentioned, was suspended over Main street on a rope, one end of which was tied to the chimney of Mr. Latham's house, and the other to that of Mr. Lewis', opposite. One day when Mr. Latham was in Wheeling, a committee of citizens called upon his wife and advised her to have the flag taken down, stating that from threats they had heard, the house would be in danger if it remained up over night. She replied that Mr. Latham had left it flying when he went away, and, so far as she was concerned, it should fly until he came back. The alarmists, however, frightened Mr. Lewis and he took the rope off his chimney, and the flag into an upper window of Mr. Latham's house, leaving the rope still tied to his chimney. On the afternoon of the day before the election, Capt., afterwards Col., Thompson, commanding at Fetterman, for the purpose of intimidating the citizens of Grafton, marched his force, about one hundred and sixty strong, through Grafton and back, passing up Main street and down the railroad. When it became known to the citizens of Grafton that they were coming, the excitement was intense, and it was with the utmost difficulty that a bloody street fight was prevented. A single shot fired would have proved most disastrous, but the calmer counsels prevailed and bloodshed was deferred to await legal organization. As the rebel column marched up Main street Mr. Latham was standing in front of his office. A half dozen of fiery young men rushed past him into his house, threw the flag out of the window, and, rushing down again, dragged it through the rebel column and tied the other end of the rope to a tall post across the street, and it remained there all the evening, hanging so low as to obstruct passage, the horsemen following at the rear of the rebel column being compelled to turn back. There was in the town a company, probably fifteen to twenty-five, of little girls, who had been accustomed to meet and sing patriotic songs. As if by magic, these appeared on the platform at the Grafton House, in white dresses, carrying small union flags, and gave the rebels a strain of union music as they passed back to Fetterman. Mr. Latham had sent his family, consisting of wife and two small children, to her father's. The election passed off as quietly as a funeral, the largest vote ever polled at Grafton to that time being cast, and only one for the ordinance.
Porterfield had moved on that day from Philippi to Webster, four miles south of Grafton, and he and Thompson were to unite their forces at Grafton on the next day. Latham therefore collected his company after night, and while the rebels at Fetterman were really fearing an attack, marched around them, striking the railroad at Valley Falls, six miles below, in time to intercept a 3 a. m. train for Wheeling. The latter part of June, Capt. Latham was ordered with his company to Grafton, where he met Gen. McClellan and, knowing the locations, distances, &c., assisted him in preparing his Western Virginia campaign. The company was then assigned to Gen. Morris' command at Phillippi, and took part in the campaign to Carrick's ford. Capt. Latham had charge of Garnett's body, dressed and boxed it and it was sent in charge of a staff officer to Manasses and delivered to Gen. Beauregard several days before the first battle of Bull Run. This company also buried the body of a mere youth who fell by the side of his general, and placed at his head a board with the inscription, written by First Lieutenant F. A. Cather, "Here lies the body of a youth (name unknown) who fell defending his general while his comrades ran away." The most interesting trophies captured by Company B in this race were the patent leather wallet of George W. Hansbrough, with his name on it, and a cartridge box with the following inscription: "D. S. K. Knight who killed the first yankee in Virginia."
Capt. Latham and his company were left at Bealington to protect the line of transportation. From this time on until his muster out in March 1865, his history is incorporated with that of the regiment. Toward the close of his service, Secretary of War Stanton nominated Col. Latham as brevet brigadier general, after a thorough investigation of his record, thus placing upon this gallant officer, one of the proudest honors of his life. Col. Latham had the confidence and love of the entire regiment. The men believed in him, admired his courage, trusted his honesty and relied on his ability and intense devotion to country, and he never disappointed them. With a knowledge of his conduct during the service of the regiment, the writer cheerfully bears testimony to the worth and ability of this noble and brave officer. He never failed in any emergency, and his men would follow him wherever he called to duty.
In the fall of '64, Col. Latham was elected a member of the Thirty-ninth Congress for the Second District of West Virginia, from March 4th, '65, to March 4th, '67, and was mustered out of the service March 10th. During his term in Congress he served on the committees of printing and of public buildings and grounds. This was probably the most exciting Congress the country has ever experienced. It was during the Reconstruction period and the quarrel with President Johnston. Col. Latham, though an ardent Republican, did not approve of some of the measures and doctrines advocated by a majority of his party. While favoring the amendments which were offered to the constitution, in order to harmonize it with the altered condition, of things, he would not agree that the reconstruction of the government was necessary in order to restore the states to their proper places in the union, or to "guarantee" future loyalty; and was in favor of local self-government in and for the states, and the seating of loyal members of Congress, legally elected, whenever and from whatever state presented; but he was opposed to ever admitting to a seat in Congress, or to other important federal offices, any who had not been continuously loyal. His position on these momentous questions is fully presented in his own language, in speeches delivered in the house on January 8th and May 28th, 1866.
On account of the failure of his health, Col. Latham declined to be a candidate for renomination, and about two weeks before the adjournment, at the request of the Secretary of State, he agreed to accept an appointment as United States Consul at Melbourne, Australia. For this position he was nominated by President Johnson and promptly confirmed by the Senate, and left for his post of duty on the 10th and sailed from Boston on the 20th of April, 1867. This service continued three years, he returning in 1870. While in Melbourne he detected a whisky fraud upon the revenue of the United States, which was compromised by the payment of $75,000 into the treasury. He also collected from the Fiji Islands an indemnity claim of long standing, amounting to $45,000. The white residents, of all nationalities, united with the native authorities of Fiji, and presented, through him, an application or petition to the Government of the United States to extend its jurisdiction over the group. President Grant and his cabinet, however, rejected the petition. They then applied to Great Britain, which promptly accepted the offer. Col. Latham delivered one lecture in Melbourne on the "American War," for the benefit of the building fund of the church which he and his family attended. The largest hall in the city was filled and the committee realized between $400 and $500. He was urgently requested to repeat the lecture in other places and for similar objects, but declined because the State Department, in a general way, disapproves of its foreign representatives lecturing on matters relating to our public institutions and governmental pol1cy. When about to leave Melbourne, he was feted, banqueted and presented with addresses as no other consul of any nation, to Melbourne, had ever been. It is regretted that we have not a full copy of his reply to an address presented to him by the Consular Corps. In this he congratulated them especially upon the fact that during his connection with them, all the nations represented had been at peace; and predicted in the near future the settlement of international disputes by an international congress, and consequently practical disarmament.
Since 1870 Col. Latham has retired mostly from public life, though still taking a lively interest in all the social and political questions of the day. He was elected and served one term of two years, about 1875, as Superintendent of public schools for Upshur county, West Va., and was appointed by President Hayes, in 1880, Supervisor of Census for the first census district of West Virginia. This is his last public office, to date. He received a grape shot wound in his left foot at Lee's Springs on the Rappahannock river, in August, 1862, which was thought to be but trifling at the time and for some years after, but which is now giving him much trouble and pain at times. Col. Latham has a wife and eight children living - four sons and four daughters, and he is now fifty-eight years of age.
Robert Moran, was born on the banks of White Day creek, Monongalia Co., Va., near the village of Smithtown, December 27, 1822. Shortly after this his father moved into what is now Marion county, West Va., where he remained until his death. During the boyhood of the subject of this sketch, there was but little opportunity in that section of securing an education especially by the common people, who had to work both summer and winter, clearing out their farms. His father being a poor man with a large family, he received but a few months schooling. In his boyhood he had strong military inclinations, and when he attended the drills of the State Militia with his father, he determined to be an officer if he reached manhood. At twenty-one years of age he was elected Captain of a militia company for five years, and after that was elected lieutenant colonel of the One Hundred Forty-seventh Regiment of Virginia Militia, and six years later was elected colonel of the same regiment, which commission he held until the war began. Upon reaching his majority, Col. Moran married, and began clearing a farm for himself. In 1852 he rented his farm and moved to the village of Winfield, about four miles from Fairmont, where he kept a general store and tavern, until April 1, 1861. Seeing that war was inevitable, he sold his goods at auction, at a sacrifice of nearly $3,000, and on the first call for troops for the support of the government, he cast his fortunes with the union, and began to enlist troops for the Second Virginia Infantry, of which he was appointed lieutenant colonel, upon its organization in July, 1861. At the convention held in Wheeling, May 13, 1861, Col. Moran was a delegate, and took a prominent, and positive part in its proceedings. Col. Moran participated in all the campaigns of his regiment, until May 20, 1862, when he resigned his office. His health had become so bad that he had to retire, and was so worn down at the time, that he had to be hauled in an ambulance to New Creek, and it was weeks before he was able to reach his home. After his return home, Gen. Jones, of the confederate army, made a raid through Fairmont and that part of the state, and Col. Moran did good service in the defence made against the raider.
After the war he was assessor of Internal Revenue for two years, and in 1875 was land commissioner for one-half of Marion county, to place a valuation on all real estate for taxation. In the spring of 1876, he moved to Platte county, Nebraska, of which he was elected county commissioner one term, and since then his health has been so bad, that he has declined to serve in any office, though often solicited by the people to do so. He is now living on his farm of 640 acres, greatly enfeebled by disease.
Alexander Scott was a native of Franklin county, Pa., and of Scotch-Irish origin. His parents' relatives, as well as those of his wife, fled to this country during the Irish Rebellion, and are of a sturdy, courageous stock. Col. Scott's grandfather, Alexander Scott, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and the colonel comes honestly of his soldierly qualities. His father, Samuel Scott, was, a farmer, and moved to Wooster, Ohio, in 1836, when the son went to Pittsburgh to study music. He gave up his studies to enter the service in the Mexican war, and went out from Pittsburgh with the "Rough and Ready Guards," commanded by Capt. Rowley. This company was mustered in as Company F Maryland and District of Columbia volunteers, October 8, 1847, and was on duty until July 24, 1848, when it was mustered out. At the close of the Mexican war, Col. Scott married Eleanor G. Smith, daughter of Prof. James M. Smith, of Pittsburgh, formerly of Londonderry, Ireland, and went to reside in Nashville, Tenn., and from there to Mississippi, and engaged in the furniture business. They remained there until the breaking out of the rebellion. He was at that time a member of the Aberdeen Masonic Lodge, and commanded the Monroe Rifle Volunteers. This company was ordered to report for duty at Macon, Ga., to go into a confederate regiment, and the colonel was given command, but he declined the offer, and left the South, returning to Pittsburgh. Here he aided in recruiting Company F of the regiment of which he became lieutenant-colonel, entering the service as captain of the company. He was in all the battles in which the regiment took part, and his history is intimately connected with all the operations of the army recorded in the following chapters. At the battle of Second Bull Run, August 30, 1862, he had his horse shot under him. At the battle of Droop Mountain, November 6, 1863, he commanded the remnant of the regiment, and was complimented on the field by General Averill, for his gallant conduct. He had the entire confidence of his men, and they cheerfully followed his leadership, though they knew that it meant danger, and perhaps death. He rendered good service on the famous Salem Raid, where he contracted a severe cold, from which he never recovered, and which caused his death May 29, 1870, in his 49th year. He was mustered out with the regiment, and returned to private life at Pittsburgh. He left a widow, who resides in their home city, and three children, Mary Ray Scott, and Wm. Graham and Henry Brown Scott. The two sons are employed in the offices of the Pennsylvania railroad. The daughter is one of the talented singers of that city, having a very fine contralto voice, and sings in the choir of the Third Presbyterian church. The name is also perpetuated in two grandsons, Josiah R. B. and Armor G. Scott. Colonel Scott was an able, brave officer, a good leader, and was a worthy representative of the volunteer soldiery of the country.
J. D. Owens was one of the organizers of the Plummer Guards, going to Wheeling as the captain of that company. He was commissioned the first major of the regiment, and served in that capacity until he resigned his commission, July 7, 1862. He commanded the detachment of the regiment that went to the battle of Allegheny Mountain, and was in command of the regiment at the battle of Cross Keys, June 1862, where he performed his duty, and handled his regiment, to the satisfaction of his superiors. It was a task of more than ordinary severity, but he met it bravely. The first colonel and lieutenant-colonel had resigned, and Major Owens followed them after the active campaign was over, the regiment thus losing its first officers, of the first three ranks, as also that of adjutant and quartermaster.
Henry C. Flesher, a native of Weston, Lewis county, Va., was born October 27, 1838, and lived at that place until he was 17 years of age. He studied law and was admitted to practice in 1858, opening an office in Wheeling January 1, 1859, and there remained until he was mustered into the service, as first lieutenant of the company, and was promoted captain May 1862. In October 1862 he was promoted to major of the regiment, which position he held until he resigned. He served as A. A. G. for Gen. Milroy before and after the Pope campaign in 1862. While in the valley with Gen. Fremont, Capt. Flesher was directed to carry a dispatch from Fremont at Harrisonburg, to Gen. James Shields at Luray, just before the battle of Cross Keys, and was mentioned by Fremont and Milroy for his bravery and efficiency. He was with the regiment in its hard work, and did his full share of it. He settled in Jackson C. H. W. Va. in March 1869, and was married in September of that year to Mrs. Miriam F. Hopkins, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He has three children, Paul 19, Pearl 17 ,and Pauline 11 years of age. The major is a member of the G. A. R., and has held the position of Judge Advocate for the Department of West Va. G. A. R.
Francis Patrick McNally was born in County Goet, Ireland, and came to America when about seventeen years of age. When about the age of eighteen, he went with the expedition of Commodore Perry to Japan. The expedition sailed on the 24th of November, 1852, and returned from Japan upon the completion of the Treaty, February 22d, 1855, receiving an honorable discharge at Norfolk, Va. He was married to Miss Mary McNamara, on February 14th, 1860, at Ironton, Lawrence county, O., by Rev. Philip Donahue. Both were adherents of the Catholic church. Upon the outbreak of the rebellion, Mr. McNally raised the first company that left Ironton for the three Years service. He was wounded, at the battle of Rocky Gap, August 26th, 1863, was taken prisoner, and died at White Sulphur Springs, September 22d, 1863.
D. D. Barclay was born in Conemaugh township, Indiana county, Pa., April 13th, 1838. His parents J. M. L. Barclay, and Jane Ferguson Barclay, were natives of the same county, and born within one-half mile of each other. The subject of this sketch served his minority with his parents on the farm, and at the age of twenty-one went to McKeesport, Allegheny county, Pa., where he served his apprenticeship at boat building. As soon as he had completed his trade, he went to boating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and continued in the same until the breaking out of the war, when he went to Pittsburgh, and enlisted in Company D. When mustered in to the United States service at Wheeling, he was elected second lieutenant of the company. On the 22d of March, 1862, he was promoted to first lieutenant, and on July 7th to captain of the company. By his bravery and good fellowship, he soon became a great favorite in the company. He took an active part in all the battles and skirmishes in which the company was engaged, and could always be found where the danger was the greatest, and where duty called. On several occasions he acted as major of the regiment. This was notably the case on General Averill's famous Droop Mountain raid, and in the battle that closed the campaign, November 6th, 1863, and on the Salem raid in December of the same year. On April 24th, 1864; he received the well merited promotion of major of the regiment. He took part in all the work of the regiment, until mustered out August 25th, 1864. During his term of service he served under Generals McClellan, Rosecrans, Milroy, Fremont, Pope, Averill, Crook and Hunter. The regiment had not a more popular man in it, and he had but to give the command, when his brave boys would follow him anywhere. They had the utmost confidence in his solid sense, good judgment, fidelity and bravery, and never in all his service did he do any act to lose the high regard of his men. His bravery is attested by the gallant work under Milroy, his faithful service at Rocky Gap, Droop Mountain and Salem Raid, and by his grand work on the final expedition under Gen. Crook.
Major Barclay was married on March 4, 1862, to Mrs E. P. Reinbeau, to whom have been born two sons and two daughters. After returning home from the army, he again followed his trade of boat building, and went to work for W. H. Brown, one of Pittsburgh's greatest coal merchants, and continued with him until Mr. Brown's death, when the firm was changed to W. H. Brown's Sons, and the major is now superintendent of their entire works at Brown's station, Twenty-third ward, Pittsburgh, on the B. & O. R. R. The major is a deacon in the Christian church at Hazelwood, and ever since leaving the army has been an active and enthusiastic worker in the Sunday school. His wife often accompanied him in the army, and is most highly esteemed by the men in the command. Major Barclay is a true American, a typical citizen soldier, a patriotic citizen, and a Christian gentleman, in whom his old comrades find a good friend.
Charles McClure Hays, a native of Pittsburgh, enlisted in the Plummer Guards as a private. He was a lawyer by profession, and a nephew of Judge McClure, who was famous as a lawyer and jurist before the war. Mr. Hays was a man of magnificent presence, remarkably handsome, with a large and brainy head, and polished in speech and manner. November 6, 1861, he was promoted to be adjutant of the regiment, which office he resigned January 11, 1862. Returning to Pittsburgh, he enlisted in Captain Young's company of Heavy Artillery, stationed at Fort Delaware. He died at Harrisburg, Pa., about the close of the war.
D. F. Williamson was by birth an Englishman, and about 40 years of age when he entered the service, as a member of Company K. He had served 12 years in the English army, and was one of the best drilled men in the regiment, especially with the sword. While the regiment lay at Elkwater, the officers specially had the opportunity to learn his skill in this respect. Many, if not all, of the line officers at that time, were drilled in the use of the saber by him. He was a well built man, and made a splendid appearance in uniform; and in addition was well educated and of the most genial disposition. He was appointed first lieutenant of Company I in the fall of 1861, and on February 7, 1862, was appointed adjutant of the regiment, resigning this office March 25, 1862. It may be said of Lieut. Williamson, that he was generally liked, and he had few enemies among the officers and men of the regiment.
R. W. Hazlett, M. D., was born at Washington, Pa., in 1828. He was educated at Washington College, Washington, Pa., but was prevented by illness from graduating; but subsequently the degree of A. B. was conferred on him by the college. Adopting the profession of medicine, he was graduated at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1851, and practiced medicine at Wheeling, Va., until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion. Dr. Hazlett was commissioned surgeon of the Second Regiment Virginia Volunteer Infantry, June 15th, 1861, serving in that capacity until the fall of 1862, when he was appointed surgeon of Gen. Milroy's "Independent Brigade." He resigned his commission as surgeon of the regiment March 2d, 1863, and was appointed one of the surgeons in the United States General Hospital at Grafton, West Va., in the summer of 1863. While at this place, the doctor was commissioned by the Secretary of War, Surgeon of the Board of Enrolment, of the First District of West Virginia, which embraced about one-half of the State, and was mustered out of service June 15, 1865.
The doctor was present at the surrender of Gen. Pegram, after the battle of Rich Mountain, July, 1861, and participated in the battles of Montery, McDowell, Cross Keys, Cedar Mountain, Waterloo Bridge, White Sulphur Springs, Freeman's and Kelly's Fords, Warrenton, Second Bull Run, Centreville and Chantilly, in the summer of 1862.
Since his retirement from the army, he has practiced medicine at Wheeling, and has held a number of civil and medical appointments. Among the latter, the doctor was for twenty years a Pension Examining Surgeon, which position he resigned upon the election of Grover Cleveland as President. The doctor located for a company in 1858, the first productive oil well in the state of West Virginia.
Eli Nathan Love was born in Loudoun county, Va., Sept. 28, 1820. At the age of 17, he commenced teaching school, and continued in this occupation until he became of age. Having inherited some money he entered the mercantile business, but he soon tired of it, and began reading medicine. In 1847, he entered the University of Maryland, from which he was graduated in 1849.
He then went to Virginia, where he was married to Miss Caroline Moore, Sept. 3, 1850, and practiced his profession until the breaking out of the rebellion. After the secession of Virginia he was forced to leave his home on account of his loyalty, became a refugee, and in company with several others, left Virginia July 13, 1861, and waded the Potomac river to the Maryland side, where he found some Federal soldiers, and went with them to the point of Rocks, thence to Washington. He next went to Ohio, but soon found his way to Wheeling, where he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Second Virginia Infantry. Upon the resignation of the surgeon, Dr. R. W. Hazlett, he was appointed surgeon of the regiment, serving until it was mustered out.
After the expiration of his term of service, he resumed the practice of his profession at Waterford, Loudoun county, Va. During the war his wife died, and after the war he married Miss Armida Athey, of Maryland, who survives him, the doctor having died August 14, 1882.
(Note: Dr. Love's first wife, Caroline, died 2 Sep 1863, aged 36 yrs 8m 8d, and is buried at Loudoun County, Virginia in the Ebenezer Church Cemetery.)
Dr. Sample Ford was born in Wheeling in 1827. He attended the West Alexandria Academy, Washington county, Pa., and read medicine with Dr. R. H. Cummins of Wheeling. He attended one course of lectures at the Pennsylvania University at Philadelphia, and practiced medicine near McKeesport, Pa. Dr. Ford was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Second Virginia Infantry in July 1861, and participated in the battles of Cross Keys, Freeman's and Kelly's Fords and Second Bull Run. He resigned his commission in the winter of 1862; and was near Cumberland, Md., in 1863, where he remained until the close of the war. He subsequently practiced medicine in Bridgeport, Ohio, and Wheeling, W. Va. He died at Wheeling in 1868 of hepatic disease.
Dr. Theodore Millspaugh was born in Ulster county, N. Y., May 24, 1838. He was educated at Montgomery Academy, N. Y., and Rutgers College Grammar school. He is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York City, class of 1861. He was studying medicine at the outbreak of the rebellion, and was two months in the U. S. General Hospital at Alexandria, Va., immediately after the first battle of Bull Run, in the employ of the Sanitary Commission. After graduating, he entered the service as Acting Assistant Surgeon U. S. A., and joined General Fremont's command in the Shenandoah Valley, in June 1862. He was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Second Virginia Infantry August 1, 1862, and served with the regiment until mustered out. He has practiced medicine in Wallkill, N. Y. since the close of the war. He is a Republican in politics, and has represented his district in the state legislature, and has held several local offices.
George W. Miller was residing in Grafton, West Va., at the breaking out of the rebellion and had been for several years previous to that time, but the place of his birth is unknown. His father's name was George. He enlisted with Company B and was mustered in with the company. He was twenty-eight years of age. August 1st, 1862, he was promoted from a sergeant to sergeant major, in which capacity he served to the end of the war. He was a soldier of much merit, intelligent, brave and trusty, and possessed a constitution to stand the hardships of a soldier's life. After the war he married and moved to Kansas.
John R. Thomas joined the party that left California for Pittsburgh, and became members of Company G. His parents were from Wales, sturdy people, from whom John inherited a strong constitution. He worked about town, like most boys of the day, at such work as he could get, securing by reading and at the public school the average information of the day in a village. His chief joy, however, was music, and he could readily learn to play on any instrument that was given him, but his special ability lay in leading in martial music. He naturally called about him many kindred spirits, and for a year or two before the war he led a band of fifers and drummers, that was unexcelled in skill in western Pennsylvania. During a great Republican parade in Pittsburgh, in 1860, the band was engaged, and was spoken of as the best in the large column. This band was the one that aroused the people of Greenfield and, California, the first Sunday after Fort Sumpter was fired upon, and rallied the loyal hearts in those towns, leading to the enlistment of Company I. This enlistment of Thomas in Company G soon caused the breaking up of the band, and all that were old enough, enlisted in the Second Virginia Infantry. Soon after the organization of the regiment, Mr. Thomas organized a regimental band, and afterward was appointed principal musician of the regiment. He remained in this position until the muster out, and was transferred to Company I after Company G was transferred to the artillery arm of the service. Mr. Thomas was a brave soldier, and while engaged at Rocky Gap was shot in the ankle and severely hurt. After the war he engaged in farming, and is now happily located in Iowa, one of the stalwart, noble citizens of that grand commonwealth.