This company was raised in Pittsburgh, Pa., by Chatham T. Ewing, J. D. Owens, H. A. Evans and others, and was composed of residents of Allegheny and surrounding counties of Pennsylvania, and a few from Wheeling, Va., bearing the name of the "Plummer Guards." John D. Owens was elected captain and Chatham T. Ewing first lieutenant, and the company began to drill. The organization was completed fully on the 15th of May. Joseph Plummer, at the time a prominent shoe dealer on Wood street, in return for the honor of having the company named after him, bought uniforms for the men, consisting of a suit of grey cloth pants, and jackets trimmed with black, very neat and pretty. The quota of Pennsylvania being full, Gov. Curtin declined to accept the company, and the men chafed under their inability to get to the seat of war. At this time the confederates were becoming active in Western Virginia, and Major Oakes, at Wheeling, came to Pittsburgh to get some troops. The Plummer Guards at once accepted service, going to Wheeling on the steamer John T. McCombs, making their first "camp" on the steamboat Courier, and afterward in Camp Carlisle. They were mustered into the United States service by Capt. Craig, with the following officers: Captain, Chatham T. Ewing; first lieutenant, Alfred Sickman; second lieutenant, Jacob G. Huggins, Capt. J. D. Owens being appointed major of the regiment of which this company was to be a part.
While on the Island, a detail was made from the company, to go to Bethany and get some arms, that were in possession of the military company formed from among the students at the college there, who were nearly all from the south, and in sympathy with that section. The detail consisted of twenty-five men under command of U. S. Marshal Norton, and Sergeant Rook and Corporal Evans. They went to Bethany in omnibuses, reaching there at midnight, surprising and capturing the place, and securing the guns. On the way back to camp, they stopped for supper at West Liberty, where they received an ovation, the citizens meeting them with a brass band, and welcomed them to the town. They reached Wheeling in the night, waking up Governor Pierpont, who made the boys a speech, and told the marshal to take them to a hotel for their breakfast.
Camp Carlisle continued to be their headquarters until July 5th, when the company proceeded to Grafton, thence to Webster, relieving Capt. Tyler Co. G, Fifteenth Ohio.
From Webster the company went to Laurel Hill, thence back to Webster, and Grafton, thence to Oakland, Md., thence to the "Red House," trying to intercept the retreating enemy after the battle of Carrick's Ford. They double quicked for seven miles, the Twentieth Ohio, Colonel Morton, being close to the company, the most of the time, and captured a few of the gentlemen from the south. Major Walcott of General Hill's staff, ordered the command to halt, when the general made a speech, ending with proposing three cheers for the star spangled banner, which were weakly given by the disgusted men, who were then ordered to retreat. The company then went back to the "Red House," thence to Oakland and New Creek, returning to Grafton~ thence to Clarksburg, and by way of Buckhannon went to Beverly, where they met the rest of the companies of the regiment to which they were to be attached, and became Company G.
The following is the muster out roll, showing list of members and their record. The company was mustered into the U. S. service June 13, 1861, and mustered out Aug, 8, 1864. All the members not otherwise marked, except the recruits and veterans, were mustered out with the company.
CAPTAIN C. T. EWING.
Chatham Thomas Ewing was born in New Lisbon, Ohio, January 30, 1839. In the spring of 1852 he, with the rest of his father's family, moved to Pittsburgh, Pa. He united with ihe Presbyterian denomination when about 19 years of age, under Wm. M. Paxton, who is now pastor in one of the churches in New York City, and was one of the first leaders in the Y. M. C. A. in Pittsburgh, with Wm. Frew, Gilbert McMasters and Wm. Thaw. They held gospel meetings in a room over the Duquesne engine house, and they frequently had the firemen to listen to the services. In the summer of 1860 he was a member of the Pittsburgh Zouaves, a company which afterwards furnished a great many officers for the union army. At the breaking out of the war, he was in western Kentucky on a collecting tour for some Pittsburgh business houses, and all this time knew nothing of the war; the first he learned of it was on his return when he reached the Ohio river. Hastening home he was greeted with the intelligence of the death and burial of his father, and on the 15th of May he enlisted for the war, becoming captain of Company G.
He was admitted to the bar in the winter of 1861, in his 21st year, and occupied his father's office, with whom had been associated his son-in-law, D. H. Hazen. At the close of the war he practiced law in Pittsburgh until the spring of 1869, when with his family he moved to Des Moines, Iowa. One reason for his moving west was his failing health, the result of wounds and hardships in the war. Finding that the cold winters of Iowa were not beneficial, he removed, in January of 1871, to the healthiest town in Kansas. Having learned the business of printing in New Lisbon, Ohio, he commenced the publication of the Head-Light at Thayer, in 1871, and is now plodding away at his old trade, and drawing $12 a month from Uncle Sam. At the age of 25 years, he was married to Miss Ella Wheeler, of Zanesville, Ohio. Four beautiful daughters blessed this union, and John the boy, is now in his sixth year, all alive and self supporting. The income from a country newspaper not being enough to educate them all in a proper manner, one of them is now cashier in a bank, another has a lucrative position as a stenographer, the two younger ones being yet in school. His mother, now 83 years old, is still alive and makes her home with him. Capt. Ewing's record as a soldier, is found in the service of his company, which is an honorable one, and is given in detail in the records of battles and expeditions, in later chapters of this history.
Ewing's Bank Failure Told in Kansas Soldier's Autobiography
Obituary of Chatham Ewing
(Photo, Obit & Autobiography provided by John A. Jackson.)
LIEUTENANT ALFRED SICKMAN.
Alfred Sickman was born June 27, 1840, in a farm house in Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pa. His mother died when he was about 8 years old, and his father, Samuel Sickman, married his second wife, Miss Ann Ailes, about two years later, and removed to California in Washington county, Pa., in the spring of 1858. Alfred attended the seminary there until the breaking out of the rebellion, when he recruited what was later called the "Pike Run squad," and proceeding with his men to Pittsburgh, became a part of the Plummer Guards, and was elected first lieutenant at the organization. He was unassuming, pleasant and considerate, greatly liked by his men. He met every duty as it presented itself, and bravely and conscientiously served his country to the best of his ability. At the battle of Allegheny Mountain, December 13, 1861, while gallantly leading his men, he was shot and fell dead in front of the enemy, dying as a brave soldier should. His remains were left on the mountain side, and were buried by his comrades April 7, 1862, on their way to Monterey. The remains were subsequently removed, and now lie in the beautiful National cemetery at Grafton.
Howard Morton was born in Somerset county, Pa., Jan. 2nd 1842. At the age of six years his parents removed to Pittsburgh. His father came from Hampshire county, Mass., and was a descendant of George Morton, the financial agent of the Pilgrims in London. George Morton's son, Nathanial, came over in the "Ann" two years after the "May- flower", as a member of Governor Bradford's family. Mrs. Bradford was the sister of George Morton. Nathanial kept the records of the colony for over forty years. Three of Major Morton's ancestors, on his father's side, were soldiers. Randall Morton, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a well known educator, and prior to the war was principal of the Fourth ward schools in Allegheny, and now resides with his wife in the Twenty second ward, Pittsburgh, in the enjoyment of his old age. The mother of Major Morton was Miss Crissia Wilson, of Washington, Pa., daughter of William Wilson, and Sarah Clark, who was a daughter Noah Clark, a revolutionary soldier. From the above it will be seen that the major came honestly by his military spirit.
In 1861, the subject of the sketch enlisted in the Plummer Guards, was promoted to corporal and afterward to sergeant, and at the battle of Allegheny Mountain, was promoted to first lieutenant. At Rocky Gap, he was in command, the captain having been wounded in another part of the field. At Droop Mountain, he advanced the guns up the mountain side under the terrific fire of the enemies' batteries on the summit. On the Salem Raid, when penned up by raging waters, by attaching a long rope to the collars of the two lead horses of each gun, carrying it across, and putting a hundred or more men to it, and literally dragging horses and guns into the raging torrents and through to terra firma, he saved the battery. His defense of Beverly, West Va., in July, 1863, shows his daring and skill. At New Market, Va., Lieut Morton, in the absence of the captain, commanded the battery, and with such good effect as to call forth letters of praise from Capt. Du Pont, chief of artillery, Department of West Va., and from Maj. Gen. Julius Stahl, commanding cavalry.
At the close of his term of service, he was commissioned Major of the 5th Pa. Artillery, and at Salem, Va., commanded the regiment in an engagement with Mosby, in which he out-generaled the famous rebel leader. He was mustered out at the close of the war, and from that time to the present, has been engaged in commercial pursuits, with good success from a financial standpoint. About thirteen years ago be married Miss Mary Bell Reneker, from Cynthiana, Ky., and the union has been blessed with two lovely children, his home being in the East End, Pittsburgh. During the railroad riots at Pittsburgh in 1877, Major Morton went single handed into the camp of the rioters and persuaded them to surrender to him the artillery which they had taken from Breck's battery, and haul it down to the City Hall and deliver it over to the authorities. Gov. Hartranft complimented the Major for his action, and claimed it was the most creditable piece of work that took place during the riots.
J. G. Huggins, California, Washington county, Pa., was one of the squad that went from that section, and became members of the "Plummer Guards." He was born in East Pike Run township, October 21, 1831, where he lived and worked until he was 20 years of age, after which he worked at boat building until the call for volunteers was made. He received a common school education. When the company was organized for muster, he was commissioned second lieutenant, which position he held until he resigned in March, 1862, at Cheat Mountain summit. Upon his return home he again resumed work at his trade as ship carpenter. He was married February 7, 1863, to Miss Sarah Craft, to whom three children have been born, two sons and one daughter, the latter dying when about two years old. His wife died May 17, 1876.
Samuel J. Shearer was born in Cumberland county, Pa., in 1836. He was a farmer's son, and up to the age of eighteen, was engaged in the usual farm duties, receiving such education as could be had in the country schools, after which he left his home and found employment with the government, taking part in an expedition fitted out to convey military stores to the troops in Utah. This was attended with great danger, as the wagon trains were at all times beset by hostile Indians. From the Utah expedition, Shearer drifted to Pittsburgh, where he was variously engaged until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in Company G. He served as sergeant until the spring of 1862, when he was promoted to second lieutenant, which position he held with credit until the muster out of the company.
Shearer was one of the most nervy men in the regiment and was utterly devoid of fear. He was a magnificent horseman, and the members of the company and regiment, will remember his big black horse which few men beside himself would dare to mount. He was an excellent companion, always cheerful, taking things as they came, without complaint, and was in every respect a thoroughly manly man. In 1867, he married Miss Caroline Zeigler, of Harmony, Butler county, Pa., and lived one year afterward at New Castle, Pa. From there he removed to New Springfield, O., where he has lived for over twenty years, rearing a family of one boy and four girls. He has been engaged in the dry goods and grocery business and farming, to a considerable extent, and with such success as to rank as a successful man in business.
S. J. Osborne, a native of Westmoreland county, Pa., was born in the year 1837, and lived on a farm until his seventeenth year, when he went to Pittsburgh, where he was engaged until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the company known as the "Plummer Guards." With them he went into service in Western Virginia. He was appointed corporal and afterwards promoted to sergeant, and chief of the first piece, which position he held during the term of service. He was discharged with the company at Wheeling, since which time he has been living in Pittsburgh, and is at present engaged in mechanical draughting in that city.
A. G. Osborne was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., in the year 1833, removing to Pittsburgh to learn the tinsmith trade. On the breaking out of the civil war he enlisted in the company known as the "Jackson Independent Blues," and with them entered the three months service, the company being assigned to the 12th Pennsylvania Regiment, in which he served during his term of enlistment. After his discharge he went to Western Virginia and enlisted in Company G, in which his brother was serving, and when the company was transferred to the artillery service, was appointed corporal and gunner of first piece, in which position he served until the end of the company's service. He was married to Miss Kate Hurst, of Buckhannon, West Va., in 1863, to which place he removed after his discharge, and carried on the tin business, afterwards removing to Emporia, Kansas, where he was engaged in business for several years, from which place he removed to Texas, and is at present living in Dallas, in that state.
Henry A. Evans was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., June 30, 1838. His father was born in Huntington and his mother in Allegheny county, Pa. His grandfather Evans, one of the pioneers of the west, built a rolling mill at Connellsville, Pa., very early in the history of that part of the country. His grandfather Henry Burns, was the first white child born west of the Allegheny mountains, whose parents were killed by the Indians when he was an infant, and he was found in the woods by a Mr. Jones, who reared him as his son. Mr. Evans received his education in the public and private schools of Pittsburgh. He chose the profession of medicine, but after studying for a year or more, his health failed and he was obliged to give it up, when he entered a rolling mill and learned to be a heater. He was thus employed when the call to arms came. In a company with a few others he was soon recruiting, and after helping to organize two companies that went into Pennsylvania service, he helped to raise a third, the Plummer Guards, of which he became a member.
Mr. Evans was appointed a non-commissioned officer of his company, and was with it in all the battles in which it engaged, except Droop Mountain and the Salem Raid. At that time he was in the hospital, having been wounded at the battle of Rocky Gap, by a piece of shell striking him on the right side of his head. After being in the hospital three months, he returned to his company, and took part in the battles of New Market and Piedmont, having his hat shot off at the latter and his horse shot in eleven places. While on furlough Nov. 22, 1863, he was married to Miss Sarah Robinson Laing, and they have had seven children, three boys and four girls. On his return to Pittsburgh, at the expiration of his term, he was offered a situation as a heater by Sheed Clark & Co. of Youngstown, O., which he accepted, where he has lived since, except for three years. Mr. Evans was a member of the Board of Education for the city for seven years. Early in his youth he became a member of the M. E. church, and is now an official member of Henrietta M. E. church, Youngstown. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Western Star Lodge No. 21, Youngstown Chapter No. 93, and St. John's commandery No. 20 K. T. He is, also a member of Tod Post No. 29, G. A. R. of Ohio.
Rufus E. Evans was born on the banks of the Cheat river, Virginia, on the fifth day of March, 1841. His father at that time was operating a rolling mill there. At the time the war began, Rufus was learning the trade of nail making in Pittsburgh, but on the call for troops by President Lincoln, he immediately resigned his position, enlisting with the first troops that left for Harrisburg, for three months. While absent, his brother Henry was assisting to raise a company for three years, and Rufus returned and became a member of Company G. He took part in all the engagements his company was in, and remained with it until mustered out. On his return home to Pittsburgh, he resumed the business which he relinquished to enter the service of his country, and afterwards moved to New Castle, Pa. August 29, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Woods, of Washington county, Pa., and has three sons.
| "A" | "B" | "C" | "D" | "E" | "F" | "G" | "H" | "I" | "K" |