1st LOGO

BAR

COMPANY H.

     Company H was recruited at Ironton, Lawrence county, Ohio, by Capt. F. P. McNally, Lieuts. H. C. Flesher and John Combs, June 10, 1861. The company left Ironton for Wheeling on the 23d, on board the steamer Victor No. 3, where they arrived on the 25th, and went into camp at Camp Carlisle. They remained there about thirty days, during which time they were mustered into the service by Capt. Craig. They were then sent to Benwood, four miles below Wheeling, where they did guard duty for a while, and then proceeded by rail to Webster, thence marched to Beverly, where they were assigned as Company H.

     The following is the muster out roll, showing list of members and their record. The company was mustered into the U.S. service June 28, 1861, and mustered out June 29, 1864. All the members not otherwise marked, were mustered out with the company. The recruits and veterans were transferred to the Sixth W.Va. Cavalry, when the company was mustered out.

ROSTER

ROSTER

CAPTAIN JOHN COMBS.

     John Combs was born in Burlington, Lawrence county, Ohio, April 1, 1832. He settled in Ironton in 1854, and engaged in the book and stationary business. He enlisted in Company H, and was active on organizing the company, becoming second lieutenant. He was appointed adjutant of the regiment June 9, 1862, and was promoted captain of Company H, May 1, 1864, serving until the end of his term of enlistment. After his muster out, he settled in Ironton, Ohio, where he edited the Ironton Journal then changing his politics, he edited the Ironton Democrat, then the Iron Era. He afterwards went to Chicago, Ill., and engaged in the real estate business, where he lost about all his savings. He returned to Ohio, and is now a reporter on the Columbus "Post."

LIEUTENANT A. P. RUSSELL.

     A. P. Russell was born at Russell's Place, Lawrence county, Ohio, December 23, 1841. He worked at farming and tanning until 19 years of age; enlisted as a drummer in the company June, 1861, and was promoted to orderly sergeant in July, 1861. He served as such until in December, 1862, when he was promoted to second lieutenant, and served his term with that rank. He held a first lieutenant's commission, but was never mustered as such. After his retirement from the army, he engaged in the milling business, and has followed that occupation nearly ever since, residing at Russell's Place.

BAR

COMPANIES

| "A" | "B" | "C" | "D" | "E" | "F" | "G" | "H" | "I" | "K" |

BAR

BACK